IRISH BLARNEY STONES
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant pistachio pudding mix
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 eggs
- Green food coloring, optional
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 package (10 to 11 ounces) butterscotch chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugars, pudding mix and extracts until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add a few drops of green coloring if desired. Combine flour and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in chips and nuts (batter will be stiff). Cover and refrigerate for several hours. Shape into 1/2-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 8 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 150 servings, 2 per serving. Yield: 25 dozen.
If you like this, view our Irish Soda Bread party recipe.
Originally published as Blarney Stones in Country Woman March/April 1996, p18