* 5 tablespoons of butter, melt
* 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
* 1 large egg, slightly beaten
* 9 ounces of all-purpose flour (9 ounces is approx 2 cups)
* 2 1/2 cups of quick cooking oats
* 1/2 teaspoon of salt
* 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
* 3/4 cup of fat-free sweetened condensed milk
* 1 1/4 cup butterscotch morsels (this is about 8 oz)
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup of finely chopped walnutsPreheat the oven to 350 degreeCombine the sugar and the butter in a large bowl, then stir in the
vanilla and the egg. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, oats, the
1/2 teaspoon of salt and the baking soda. Then add the oat mixture
to the sugar mixture. Stir this with a fork until totally combined (the
mixture will be crumbly).Take a measuring cup and measure in 3 cups of the oat mixture in the
bottom of a 13 x 9 inch baking pan coated with a cooking spray and then
press into the bottom of the pan. Set this pan with the mixture aside.
In a microwave safe bowl, pour the condensed milk, the butterscotch
morsels and a 1/8 teaspoon of salt then microwave at HIGH for 1 minute
or until butterscotch morsels are melted, stirring this every 20 seconds
so that it does not burn on bottom. Stir in your walnuts (these are optional)
then scrape the mixture into the pan, spreading evenly over the crust.
Sprinkle evenly with the remaining oat mixture, gently pressing this
into the butterscotch mixture. Bake this at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (you
want your top to be golden brown). When done, run a knife around the edge.
Make 36 bars.